I was flipping through the Pottery Barn Catalog, getting into the holiday spirit when I saw this:
Inspired by Pottery Barn, once again: you had me at jingle, Pottery Barn! I did consider buying it, for about 35 seconds, but, knowing that I could make it myself, I had a go. Here's what I did:
Using a font called Medici Text, I wrote out the word, "jingle." Then I took three flourishes - Echo Park Flourish, Holly Corner & Vintage Style Flourish Motif. With the Echo Park Flourish, I just rotated it so that it was on its side as above, brought it up to the "e," and welded.
I took the Holly Corner and made a cut, deleting away the part I didn't want. Then rotated the piece and brought it to the bottom of the "J."
Then I cut a piece of the Vintage Flourish off and brought it to the "J." I made it smaller, selected the two flourishes and the "J" and welded.
That done, I moved onto the pillow itself. I looked everywhere for a pillow form that was the right size, but didn't find anything until I was in Target and stumbled upon a Christmas pillow that was perfect. So I decided to cover it! The pillow measured 11" x 18". So, using one of my all-time favorite pillow tutorials, I made a cover out of burlap. Using the guidelines of the tutorial, my front piece was cut out at 19" x 12", and my back pieces were 12" x 12" each. Before sewing them together, I wanted to add the "jingle" words to the largest piece.
Now for the easy part! Or so I thought...dun dun dun... My initial idea was that I would use stencil vinyl to stencil this on the pillow. Which I did try. But the stencil had to be small enough to fit onto the pillow, so it bled into the fabric, and getting it on straight was a nightmare and the kids needed to have dinner and I lost the center of the "e" and it looked terrible. Sigh.
So plan B: I used heat-transfer vinyl (which I handily had on hand from my napkin project!). I sized it in Silhouette studio, then cut it out of flocked vinyl, weeded it and ironed it on! Then I put all of the pillow pieces right sides together and sewed. Finally, I added bells with embroidery thread. And...yay! Another Christmas craft project off the table!
In retrospect, I would like to have made the design bigger. But then, I would also liked to have made the stenciling work! Actually, making the design bigger might make stenciling easier...Hmmm...Upwards, and onwards, crafters!
Jingle Bells and Merry Christmas!